Did you know that selfish = self-care?
Now, I’m not implying that you should disregard or disrespect other people, BUT when it comes to doing things you love and making time for yourself, you are NOT being selfish. When we take care of ourselves we are happier and as a result more fun to be around. We end up actually having more to give others when we are relaxed and less stressed. Just think about how you feel when you are constantly doing things you love. Are you in a better mood? YES! This in turn affects everyone you come into contact with, and makes life a lot more enjoyable for you too 🙂
What can you do to incorporate more deliciousness into your life? Here are a few tips…
1) Look at what you are “putting up” with in your life? Is it something around the house, your work environment or even a toxic relationship? Start clearing the clutter out of your physical & emotional environments, so that you can make more room for good things.
2) Learn how to say NO and to do it Guilt FREE! This is hard one especially for women. We tend to want to make everyone else feel good and don’t want to hurt other people’s feelings. The thing is, when you don’t honour yourself and your own needs, you are the one to suffer. When you agree to do something you don’t want to do upfront, you may end up resenting the person later. Or if you agree upfront and cancel later, this will likely go against your sense of integrity. These are negative emotions and won’t make you feel good.
What type of language can you use to say no? I usually say “I’m sorry that doesn’t work for me”. If you have a hard time leaving it at that and feel like you need to over explain or justify, take a deep breath after you say your response and count to 5 or 10 in your head. This will give the other person a chance to respond. Usually they are just looking for that, a response!
3) Book a massage. Having that down time to simply relax and turn your brain off is priceless. If you are worried about affording it, just try it once and notice how good it feels to treat yourself. You will likely find a way to afford it after that.
4) Reconnect with nature. Being in nature helps us to feel grounded, and it’s easier to clear & calm our minds. If you do this weekly, you will see major improvements in your peace of mind.
5) Book in your fun before everything else. Schedule time with friends, activities you love and vacation time above everything else. This ensures you are making YOU a priority. Try doing it a couple of months in advance as well as weekly. Setting aside time weekly will help you to make this a routine. It can be anything from making time to take a hot bath, read a book or even decorate! What is your forte?
So I ask you this, “Are You Selfish Enough?”